The Shakespeare Theatre was built in 1829 and was Kendal’s first purpose built theatre. It was designed by John Richardson, a local architect. Edmund Kean, a nationally famous actor played at the theatre in 1832.
Both poverty in Kendal, and pressure from the Quakers, Presbyterians and Temperance groups, forced the theatre to close five years after opening. It continued in use as a ballroom, before being converted to the New Life Community Church in 1994.
Posted by keith armstrong at 7:31 pm