JINGLE ON MY SON!

JINGLE ON MY SON!
A doughty champion of his local culture.(Poet Tom Hubbard)Your performance at the city hall was soooooooooo good! Christoph thought it was excellent! (Carolyn)

12.2.11

the common touch




Dear Dr Armstrong,


I thoroughly enjoyed 'Common Words and the Wandering Star' and learned much

from it. There were so many things I didn't know (well, most things

actually), for example Common's acquaintance with Dylan Thomas, and his

association with people like Empson, or that Orwell's wife is buried in

Jesmond Cemetery. I loved the chapter on the Hertfordshire period with

Orwell in particular, and am very sympathetic with Common's love of Romantic

poetry. I've taken the liberty this afternoon of posting you a copy of my

book on the Romantics which came out a few months ago. It's part of a new

series aimed at undergraduates. If you do get round to reading it and think

it's any good, please do recommend it here and there. I'd be grateful.


There's a sentence on p.52 of 'Common Words' which made me smile. 'The

"global market" seems triumphant'.


Anyway, wonderful to read such a long overdue book and you are to be

congratulated for it. My mother and father had their wedding reception in

'The Chillingham' in 1937.


All best wishes,


John Gilroy

the jingling geordie

My photo
whitley bay, tyne and wear, United Kingdom
poet and raconteur